Official Squidwrench Build-A-Thon 0
Hear what people are saying about the Official Squidwrench Build-A-Thon 01:
"Build-A-Thon 0 by Squidwrench is the skateboard on which the thinking person plays hooky from the Universe..." - Piladelphia Inquirer
There is a long tradition of Great Contests, and Build-A-Thon 0 does not belong to it. But it's search for a missing cat uncovers a ghost, a time-traveller, AND... the devastating secret of humankind!
Squidwrench Build-A-Thon 0's BILL FOR SAVING THE HUMAN RACE FROM EXTINCTION: NO CHARGE
Mid-Hudson hacker collective Squidwrench revs up its wit to warp-speed in its latest builder/maker/artist/ghost/horror/detective/time-travel/romantic comedy epic, teetering once again "on the fringe of inspired lunacy!" -United Press International
"ANYONE WHO RELISHES A HILARIOUS AND IRREVERENT BIT OF CREATIVE LUNACY WILL GREET WITH DELIGHT THIS NEW COMPETITION BY THE ONLY HACKER COLLECTIVE IN POUGHKEEPSIE, NY." -San Diego Union
It's a Saturday in early spring in New York's Mid-Hudson Valley, which means that for once Squidwrench doesn't have to worry about the fact that hackers and makers are running around outside a church in Wappingers Falls. What they do have to worry about is how keep the explosions from being too large or too loud, and how to award points and choose the winner(s) of this first ever Squidwrench Build-A-Thon competition.
Fortunately an arcane document was found (in Thor's notebook, and in his own handwriting) describing the rules of the competition:
Go to one of the Warehouse Outlet locations nearby:
Unable to render map: Google Maps API key is missing.1 Industry Street Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
Unable to render map: Google Maps API key is missing. 650 Route 9w, Highland, NY 12528
- Purchase tools and materials
- Bring them to the First Presbyterian Church in Wappingers Falls on 26 March 2011 Unable to render map: Google Maps API key is missing.2568 South Avenue, Wappingers Falls, NY 12590
- Build something bigger, more useful, cooler, louder, less useful, or otherwise different from what others are building
Points will be awarded vaguely as follows3:
- Coolness: 50pts This is the (completely subjective) rating of how much cool your creation radiates.
- Resourcefulness: 15pts Some parts are hard to come by. Some items will supply unexpected parts. Wow us with your ability to find the things you need and use the things you have.
- Spectacle: 10pts Inspire your most potent combination of awe and disgust. Make us laugh, cry, gasp, or simply remove our ability to look away.
- Notoriety: 10pts Post pictures of your entry on Flickr or Picasa. Post videos on Youtube or Vimeo. Tell 4chan about it. The more views you earn, the better, but don't cheat. Points in this category will be awarded after the day of the competition.
- Usefulness: 10pts Does your creation make coffee, feed starving children, or generally improve the planet in some way? You will be rewarded with points in this category.
- Anti-Usefulness: 10pts Think "negative points in the category above".
- Single source: 2pts Our way of saying congratulations for obtaining all of your parts at Warehouse Outlet.
- Budget: 25pts Everyone starts with 25 points in this category. You will lose 0.5pts for every dollar you spend.
1Shamelessly ripped off from the back of a Douglas Adams book, "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency"
2Ok, maybe not profit. How about prizes? Possibly lame prizes, too. But who cares? You'll WIN them!
3All points are subject to the whims of the judges. Some of us are notoriously fickle people, too, so if you crave strict adherence to a concrete system, contact me about running the buffet.
4The rules here are incomplete and
kind of wrong better than they initially were. I left my notes elsewhere and I'll update this as soon as I get back to them. I'm sure somebody will throw things at me or force me listen to Bon Jovi albums for 16hrs straight as punishment.